What is a BMI Calculator?
- A BMI calculator is an online or offline device that measures your body mass index.
- The body mass index or BMI is a measure of how much body mass you have in relation to your height and weight.
- Body mass refers not only to the fat within your body but also to muscles and bones.
- It is calculated by taking your weight and dividing it by the square of your height.
- The BMI figures let you know whether you are within the normal weight range, or if you are underweight or overweight.
- Both high BMIs and low ones are known to raise a host of health problems, especially as you age.
- However, a high BMI in itself is not always, medically speaking, a cause for alarm. It should be viewed in conjunction with other health parameters.