IS BMI Reliable?
- Your BMI helps measure how appropriate your weight is for your height.
- While some people might be naturally broader, the BMI range allows for these discrepancies.
- The BMI measure works to help you understand whether you fall under the normal weight, overweight or obese category.
- People who carry extra weight, especially around their stomach, are prone to developing lifestyle diseases such as diabetes, cancer or heart issues.
- For adults, the BMI offers a good estimate of weight-related health problems.
- Most often, physicians accurately measure your height and weight and use your BMI to understand your future health risks.
- If your BMI is higher than it should be, they will likely recommend some kind of diet and exercise regime to bring your weight down.
- A body mass index in the low range signals that you could be malnourished.
- Maybe your body isn’t properly absorbing nutrients or maybe you’re just not getting enough calories to support your activity level.